Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Installing Dynamics AX 2012 on SQL Server 2011/2012 Denali CTP 3

This post was sitting in my drafts box for a while now, so thought to flush it out :-)

Few months ago, out of curiousity, I had installed SQL Server 2011 "Denali" CTP3 (now called SQL Server 2012) on my local box

Yes, you can have a side-by-side install, In my case I have SQL Server 2008 along with "Denali".

The next step was to try out and see if Dynamics AX 2012 can run on it. Although, Dynamics AX 2012 Setup/Installer complains about the new version, but there's a workaround to set this up.

- Backup the existing AX 2012 database (Baseline and Transactional db's) from SQL Server 2008
- Restore the db onto SQL Server 2012 "Denali"
- Install a new AOS and make it point to the restored DB

And, now your Dynamics AX 2012 is ready and up on SQL Server 2012 :-)

If you are interested to know "What's New in SQL Server 2012" maybe you can have a look at the below links or just "google" it.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/sqlserverdenali/sql-server-denali-new-features-140115

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/sqlserverdenali/sql-server-denali-new-features-140115

I will be exploring the new features of SQL 2012 as and when I get time, I will do some posting on how Dynamics AX can leverage the new and improved features in SQL Server 2012.

Till then, Njoi :-)

No comments: