Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Update - Troubleshooting Dynamics AX 2012 Excel Add-In Error Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

Issue:

I'm just playing around Office Add-In for Dynamics AX 2012 on our Sandpit box. The component installed successfully but when I'm trying to launch the Add-In via Excel > Dynamics AX > Connection, it spits out this error shown below:












Troubleshooting Steps:

a. In Registry, the entry for ClientAOSServer in Office Add-Ins were not matching to the one in Client Config. I modified it as shown below, but still no luck :-(



b. The Add-In works fine on the Partnersource VM. I compared the Excel version between PS and my sandpit box, the one on PS runs on Office 2010 (no SP1) and the one on my sandpit is the latest version of Office 2010 with Service Pack 1.

Excel Version on VM

Excel Version on our Sandpit box


c.  Although the System Requirements Guide for AX 2012 doesn't speak about Office 2010 SP1 but without SP1 the Add-In is not able to load up which I confirmed by performing the following on our sandpit box

- Uninstall the Office Add-In
- Uninstall Office 2010 SP1
- Install AX 2012 Add-In
- Load the Add-In, It doesn't Load at all, so nothing out there in Command bar, atleast previously I had the Add-In in the Ribbon bar

d. Tried some registry tweaks as per the community discussion changing the manifest value to file:\\\ but with no luck https://community.dynamics.com/product/ax/f/33/p/60614/111924.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0&PageIndex=2

e. Copied the entire folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics AX\60\OfficeAddins from the PartnerSource VM Image and replaced the contents on my Sandpit box

f. Replaced the registry entries related to Office Add-ins (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Excel
 and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Excel on my sandpit box with the ones from VM, Restarted the box but still the same error of Object Reference not set....

g. Now, my laptop running on Win 7 Enterprise 64-bit has the same Excel Version of Sandpit box(that is updated with Service Pack 1).

I thought of installing AX 2012 RTM (AOS, Database, Client, Office Addins and Remote desktop services) build 6.0.947.0 (See here for the AX 2012 Build numbers http://daxdilip.blogspot.com/2011/08/troubleshooting-dynamics-ax2012-rtm.html) on my laptop to test the Add-In and to my surprise, the Add-In gets loaded here without any errors of "Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

So, after all the exercise performed above, I can summarize that image on Partnersource which has AX Beta (Build No - 6.0.852.78) is compatible with Excel Version of 14.0.5128.5000) and the Add-in works good but not the case with Office 2010 SP1 (See below table)

 

<><> <><>

AX 2012 Build
Office/Excel 2010 Build
Compatiblity
6.0.852.78 (Beta)
14.0.5128.5000
Add-In Loads fine without any errors
6.0.852.78 (Beta)
14.0.6123.1000 (with SP1)
Add-In cannot be loaded
6.0.947.0 (RTM)
14.0.6123.1000 (with SP1)
Add-In Loads fine

There's a thread running on the Dynamics Communities where people are facing the same issue https://community.dynamics.com/product/ax/f/33/p/60614/111924.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0

Waiting to hear from Microsoft on this one..??

8 comments:

Navid said...

Hi Dilip,

It is working fine for me. Try "Refresh Configuration" button on the client configuration utility (Connection tab).

Hope this helps.

Dilip said...

Thanks Navid for your tip. Tried it but doesn't work. Previously, I tried Configure Services, it took a while but then still the same error from Excel. I have gone through technet and installation guide number of times to verify if I missed any steps and there's no post-installation step for this Add-In. I'm not sure if there's any post configuration which I'm missing here.

QuietJay said...

I have seen this with other plug-ins where the .NET version that Excel is running under doesn't match the .NET version the plug-in is expecting. I verified this by using the fuslogvw.exe tool to see the error that occurs when Excel loads the plug-in.

Dilip said...

Thanks Jay for your tip on fuslogvw.exe. I did try launching it but couldn't find any assembly failure errors when I get the Object Reference error.

Dener said...

Hi
Where may I download the object to install Excel Add-in AX 2012?

thank you.
Dener

Unknown said...

Hi Dilip how are you? :)

We've upgraded an environment to R2 (with Office 2010 SP1) and the Office add-in stopped working.

I've the same errors described by the users in other posts.
I've checked the registry and it looks ok.

I've also tried to install Office 2013 as suggested here dynamicscare.com/.../export-to-excel-with-ax-2012-r2-nothing-happens without success.

Does anyone have a solution for R2 and Office add-in?

Unknown said...

Hi Dilip how are you? :)

We've upgraded an environment to R2 (with Office 2010 SP1) and the Office add-in stopped working.

I've the same errors described by the users in other posts.
The registry entry is ok.

I've also tried to install Office 2013 as suggested here dynamicscare.com/.../export-to-excel-with-ax-2012-r2-nothing-happens without success.

Does anyone have a solution for R2 and Office add-in?

Unknown said...

Hi Dilip how are you? :)

We've upgraded an environment to R2 (with Office 2010 SP1) and the Office add-in stopped working.

I've the same errors described by the users in other posts.
The registry entry is ok.

I've also tried to install Office 2013 as suggested here dynamicscare.com/.../export-to-excel-with-ax-2012-r2-nothing-happens without success.

Does anyone have a solution for R2 and Office add-in?